The genetics revolution will, in short, transform our health care, the way we make babies, and the nature of the babies we make. Critical decisions are being made around the world that will impact all of us and future generations in deep and fundamental ways. If we don’t get involved, how can we expect our best values will be respected in decisions made for us by others?
A primary goal of Hacking Darwin is to help spark national and global efforts to ensure revolutionary genetic technologies will be applied for the common good. But while understanding what’s coming and being part of the conversation about what should be next is everyone’s responsibility, our government leaders have a particularly unique and important role to play. Unfortunately, these officials are too often uninformed about these issues and doing painfully little to lay a responsible foundation for our genetically engineered future. The only way that is likely to change is if a groundswell of popular energy demands it.
Everyone can play a role in this process by asking your government officials the following questions:
- The genetics and AI revolutions, the threat of nuclear weapons, and climate change will have a massive impact on our country and the world. What are you doing to help address these challenges?
- What are you doing to help facilitate the transition of our healthcare system toward personalized care based on each person’s individual biology?
- What are you doing to fight discrimination and promote inclusion in our healthcare system and beyond?
- What are you doing to help build a national regulatory framework that helps promote the most beneficial applications of genetic technologies while preventing potential abuses?
- What are you doing to ensure our country is working with other nations to help develop global guidelines for the application of genetic engineering technologies to humans?
- What are you doing to engage people in our community on these issues? Would you consider hosting a town hall forum where they can be discussed?
Because the genetics revolution will shape all of our lives, we must all work together to ensure our most positive collective values shape the application of our most powerful technologies.